Whether you call this look “released hem,” “raw edge,” “undone,” “frayed,” etc., one thing is sure…this denim trend is a hot topic in fashion! Unlike some denim trends, the released hem works for any girl on any type of jean. From cropped denim to skinny to flared, this look has fashionistas everywhere breathing life into their old jeans with this simple DIY look. Not to worry if DIY isn’t your thing! Most denim companies have followed this trend into their design houses creating the perfect pair of raw edge denim that’s ready for you to purchase and wear asap.
However, if you’re on a budget or love a DIY project, here’s how you can recreate this look on a pair of denim you already own (keep in mind, you can also do this with denim skirts and shorts)!
- Turn your jeans inside out.
- Using a stitch picker or a very small pair of scissors, carefully start breaking the thread along the hem.
- Make sure you’re looking at the thread very closely to know exactly what you’re breaking. The goal isn’t to accidentally rip your jeans.
- Continue until the entire hem has been released.
- Iron the hem out flat.
- Wash and tumble dry the jeans as this will start the unraveling effect (the more raw threads hanging down the better)! You can also use sandpaper to rough up the edges a bit more. I use sandpaper on most of my jeans! I typically use sandpaper around the pockets, waistband, and knees to give my jeans a more distressed “lived in” kind of look.
And there you have it! Simple as that. By the way, if you have yet to get on the flared jean bandwagon, go ahead and take the plunge! Flared and wide leg jeans will be even more popular moving into the Fall season. Hooray!
The shirt I’m wearing here is a lightweight, backless halter that I purchased last fall before my trip to South Africa. I’ve linked it below in case it’s still available. If not, I’ve also linked a similar top below as well. Wearing full length jeans in the summer can be tough due to the extreme heat (especially if you live in the South!). Best to pair them with a lightweight, breezy top 🙂
Shop my featured look…
You may also like…
** Photography by Dean O’Brien **